Friday 13 November 2020

PHOTO-BASED ILLUSTRATION: LEE ka-Sing (Hong Kong)

Lee ka-Sing
PHOTO-BASED ILLUSTRATION: LEE ka-Sing (Hong Kong)
The "Hand" was for a brochure cover I did for Hong Kong Arts Development Council. The brochure is a grant application instruction booklet.
In 1993, I had a large solo exhibition at the Hong Kong Arts Centre. There was also a book published about the show. In the opening of the book I have a piece of text which was originally from one of the works I did for Gilbert Papers.

That piece of text, might be in a way part of my philosophy: I discussed with a friend the relationship between a river and its water. We came to talk about Marcel Duchamp, particularly about his viewpoint on ready-made objects. An object and its environment is equivalent to a swimming fish and a river, you cannot simply separate them. That's why I came to like Barbara Kruger afterwards. A graphic designer joined in. He asked me about the concept of using recycling images. I replied, to change a piece of rock into a photograph, or to change a rock photograph into a piece of rock is a matter of order. Then we discontinued to discuss anything about heaviness.
I think he must have seen R. Magritte. I supposed, when I mentioned René, he should have known René's pipe well even though I'd left Magritte's title. This way, we'd come back to the original point of river and its water. The above text is from "Four Stanzas of a Poem".

In 1993, I worked with a designer on a project for a paper company. She had to design a brochure for the client. I suggested, why not make a huge format brochure. That came to the idea of making a brochure that could be detached and became posters. You can imagine - the brochure is in the size of half of a poster. There were four artists involved in this project- each one made work on a particular theme- my subject was "recycle". My work was a straightforward photograph of four objects with my handwriting of the above text printed on top of the image in gold colour. The text was originally in Chinese. I wrote on a piece of small paper, in a "auto-writing" way, You can even see the correction marks among words.

Visually I still follow the style I started in the late 90s- that is black and white works. I had a book published in ’98 ‘Forty Poems’, please visit this link and you will be able to browse the whole book: leekasing-40poems.blogspot.com My present work is the same as the works in the second part of the book. Early 2000 I was in a group show in Tokyo about Hong Kong Contemporary Arts. I have 6 pieces of new work, black & white, size around 36x48 inches.

Lee ka-Sing
PHOTO-BASED ILLUSTRATION: LEE ka-Sing (Hong Kong)
PHOTO-BASED ILLUSTRATION: LEE ka-Sing (Hong Kong)
LEE Ka-sing 李家昇, born in 1954, photo-based artist. He was the co-founder of DISLOCATION, a former independent photography magazine. In 1989, he was awarded “Artist of the Year” by Hong Kong Artists’ Guild. In 1999, he received Fellowship for Artistic Development by Hong Kong Arts Development Council. Selected monographs include Thirty-one Photographs (1993, Photo Art), Forty Poems, photographs 1995-98 (1998, Ocean & Pounds, Hong Kong Arts Development Council publication grant), The Language of Fruits and Vegetables (2004, Hong Kong Heritage Museum), De ci de là des choses (2006, Editions You-Feng). His work is collected by private and public collections including Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography (Japan), M+ Museum and Hong Kong Heritage Museum. Lee currently lives and works in Toronto, Canada.

Blindspot Gallery  'A Permanent Instant'(pdf) also with Joseph FUNG.

No comments:

Post a Comment

index photographers & designers

Why this project" -Robert SCHILDER (the Netherlands) | next Digital Reality PHOTOGRAPHY: Achim MOHNÉ (Germany) "Everything ...