Friday 13 November 2020

TRENDS in PHOTOGRAPHY: Barbara STEWARD (USA)


Barbara Stewart - Brave New World

I was born Barbara Ernst in Rochester, New York. My mother and I moved west on the Silver Streak train. Via Phoenix and the Los Angeles area, I found my way to San Francisco.
I have an MA in English, and was an English as a Second Language instructor at San Francisco City College for many years, until my interests in technology took over. I am still at City College, but am now Coordinator of the Technology Learning Center where we train faculty and staff. I also teach introductory PhotoShop workshops. Taking pictures and working with PhotoShop are two of my pleasures in my spare time, along with being with my husband, family, friends, and dog. We often spend weekends in the Sierra foothills, and still enjoy traveling when we can find bigger blocks of time. It is a thrill to be part of this show. My husband wants me to mention that he's my tech support.
I carry a small camera with me as often as possible. That is exactly how I got the photo for Brave New World one day when I was walking to Seybold Expo in San Francisco. I am interested in people, nature, country and cityscapes.
PhotoShop allows me to evoke a story by highlighting and compositing. Sometimes the process starts with a really great picture, or sometimes I find a piece of a picture that put in a new context takes on a life of its own. I have always been interested in taking pictures and writing stories. PhotoShop lets me combine those interests.
I work primarily in PhotoShop, but use some plug-ins, with Kai's Power Tools playing a primary role--especially gradient designer. I use Alien Skin and Alius sometimes. I am also beginning to experiment with Studio Artist. I have scanned some objects directly, like a dragonfly or chocolate truffle. I am experimenting with different kinds of art papers--watercolor, canvas, rice paper, and use a MAC with an Epson 3000. I have a wonderful old Minolta camera with a good portrait lens, a small point and shoot, and am getting a digital camera this year.
Winner of the Bradley Digital Photography Exhibition Millennial Images Awards

Barbara Stewart was an ESL instructor and photography enthusiast at City College of San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment

index photographers & designers

Why this project" -Robert SCHILDER (the Netherlands) | next Digital Reality PHOTOGRAPHY: Achim MOHNÉ (Germany) "Everything ...