Friday 13 November 2020

ART & PHOTOGRAPHY:   Sacha KOULITCHOV (the NETHERLANDS)

Art and Photography Sacha KOULITCHOV
Art and Photography Sacha KOULITCHOV
Art and Photography Sacha KOULITCHOV
Art and Photography Sacha KOULITCHOV
Sacha Koulitchov


An exhibition of manipulated photography
Thursday 22 December - Saturday 28 January 1994
Sacha Koulitchov is an artist who was born and studied in Leningrad. For the last 17 years he has lived in France and the Netherlands.

Photography has become an important part of Sacha Koulitchov's research into individualisation and becoming oneself. "People live superficially but the possibility of the spirit is infinite. Experience and depth lie redundant in the unconscious. There is an enormous black hole. We only see the outside, not the inner world. What fascinates me is the meaning of individuality, the meaning of self."

His portraits are based on the interaction between people. "It is a research of relationships, the fact that people are more preoccupied with others than with themselves. Society teaches people to co-operate within a group, never with an individual. The system is based on collective responsibility, as if everything individual is wrong. Each person is unique, is his own party. The group oppresses the individual, that is the issue. I am not a reactionary, being reactionary is connected to belonging to a group because a group is not engaged with the individual, but wants to maintain itself, just like a herd." Sacha believes in freeing others by leaving them alone. "At the moment someone demands freedom, he can give freedom. The other person is taboo, which means he is inaccessible, and that is exactly what I want him to be."

"My work is both a question and the visual formulation of the question. I am not allowed to provide an answer. I have answers for myself, but for the outside world I have to be careful not to become didactic. As soon as I include answers, I deprive individuals looking at my work of their own liberty and of the questions and answers that my work brings about. I give them absolute freedom, even to misinterpret me."

Sacha's work has been exhibited in museums and art centres in Russia, France, Belgium, Great Britain, USA and the Netherlands. He has featured in television art programmes, media publications and his works are included in some important and private art collections.

about Sacha Koulitchov + interview:   Robert's blog on photography Exhibition in GALERIE 24 in the Hague

rkd.nl

No comments:

Post a Comment

index photographers & designers

Why this project" -Robert SCHILDER (the Netherlands) | next Digital Reality PHOTOGRAPHY: Achim MOHNÉ (Germany) "Everything ...